The 3-year-old girl declared ‘dead,’ wakes up at her funeral, then dies again
After doctors mistakenly assumed she was dead the first time, a 3-year-old girl woke up during her funeral before being officially declared dead.
Camila Roxana Martinez Mendoza’s family is accusing the Salinas de Hidalgo Basic Community Hospital of negligence after the toddler was reportedly declared dead too soon.
When her mother, Mary Jane Mendoza, took her to see a pediatrician in the family’s hometown of Villa de Ramos on Aug. 17, she was complaining of stomach pains, vomiting, and a fever.
According to New York Post, the doctor escalated the situation and advised that the child be taken to a hospital in the central Mexican state of San Luis Potos for dehydration treatment.
Doctors at Salinas de Hidalgo Basic Community Hospital wrapped a cold towel around her little body to cool her down and attached a pulse oximeter to one of her fingers to monitor her oxygen levels.
Camila was discharged from the hospital with a prescription for paracetamol, which treats pain and fever, but her condition worsened throughout the day. Another doctor examined her and advised her mother to feed her fruits and water, as well as prescribe a different medication.
Despite medications and medical advice, the toddler continued to vomit. Her concerned parents took her to another doctor, who recommended that she be rushed to the emergency room.
Camila was readmitted to Salinas between 9 and 10 p.m., and doctors worked to help the young girl.
“They wanted to give her (intravenous therapy). They took a long time to put oxygen on her,” her mother said. “They didn’t put it on her because they couldn’t find her little veins; finally, a nurse-managed it.”
After about 10 minutes, the IV was removed from the little girl, who was then taken away to rest. “She still was hugging me, they took her away and told me, ‘You have to let her rest in peace.’” the grieving mother remembered.
Mendoza was then separated from her sick daughter in a locked room. She was able to escape but was unable to enter the room where her daughter was being held. Camila was later declared dead as a result of dehydration.
The following day, a funeral viewing was held for friends and family to mourn the beloved toddler when Mendoza noticed the coffin’s glass window fogged up.
Others told the distraught mother she was hallucinating and dissuaded her from opening the coffin. Camila’s paternal grandmother, on the other hand, reportedly rushed to take a closer look when she noticed Camila’s eyes moving and discovered she had a pulse.
Camila was rushed by ambulance back to the Salinas hospital.
“That was really where my baby was done. We are devastated because my girl was a very happy person, she got along with everyone, she didn’t single anyone out,” Mendoza said. “We have many people on the ranch who support us because she was cherished.”
Camila’s parents obtained two death certificates, the first of which stated that she died of dehydration, and the second of which stated that she died of dehydration, cerebral edema, and metabolic failure.
“What I really want is for justice to be served. I have no grudge against the doctors [who] went to extreme [measures],” she said. “I only ask that the doctors, nurses and directors be changed so that it does not happen again.”